The Pennsy was the first railroad to install continuous cab signals. It worked with Union Switch and Signals when US&S was first experimenting with CCS, and after the ICC ruled that railroads had to install some kind of automatic train control on at least one subdivision by 1926. The ICC had in mind the wide installation of Automatic Train Stop, and was clueless about the development of CCS.
Pennsy tested CCS on the Sunbury branch in central Pennsylvania. They picked this remote territory so that if something went wrong, the bad publicity would be small. This was the first use of vacuum tube amplifiers in other than a communications application, and is considered the birth of industrial electronics.
The Pennsy considered the ICC rule to be "gilding the lily" in that they felt the money would be better spent on expanding fixed signal installations on dark territory, and that ATS was a waste of money. The ICC couldn't be swayed. Therefore, once the CCS concept proved itself, Pennsy petitioned the ICC to allow the use of CCS, but the ICC initially refused. After a number of years, and numerous public hearings, the ICC relented.
Pennsy chose to use CCS in the corridor, since they felt they would get productivity improvements, and in the hopes that they could eventually eliminate all wayside signals, thus gaining some savings in what they considered to be a very expensive installation.
--- In Canadian-Passenger-Rail@yahoogroups.com, "Mark W. Walton" <mark.walton@...> wrote:
> The Pennsylvania was a big user of cab signaling, installing it on most if
> not all electrified lines including the NYC-Washington "Broad way", where
> GG1's regularly did 100 per.
> Mark Walton
|Reply via web post||Reply to sender||Reply to group||Start a New Topic||Messages in this topic (31)|